Thread: Old tricks
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
One time I put 16 gallons into the 20 gallon tank on my van. I just wanted to top off before going downstate. I had never had problems with the fuel gauge and I had 3/4 tank left so I know they were screwing me. Had I really been closer to E and put 30 gallons into my 20 gallon tank, Id have a better case. That was also one of the stations that was fined for gouging after 911 and Katrina.

Theres also this one station downstate (Stanwood BP), that for whatever reason, makes my gauge read slower. 2 different occasions, about 6 months apart, 2 different cars. The only 2 times Ive gotten gas at that station in years (I try to avoid it because they make you pay first). And after filling up there, my gauge goes down like 3x slower than anywhere else. But next tank from somewhere else is perfectly fine, so its not like it gummed up the float. I drive the same highway back up north at the same speed and same time of day as I do any other time. And I end up getting the same mileage, when Ive used about 3/4 tank the gauge starts coming down faster and when I calculate the next tank it comes out the same. The car doesnt run any different.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver

Last edited by wagonman76; 07-02-2008 at 08:14 AM..