View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #42 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
my view isn't muddied by the fact that it is an electric car. The punishment should fit the crime, and the crime was $0.05 from an unsecured outlet, not emptying someones tank at $4/gallon. Maybe your view might be muddied by the fact that it is a car, how do you compare siphoning gas to plugging in to an unsecured outlet on public property? I have plugged my laptop into many a school outlet and never had anyone complain. Indeed how many people recharge things in public areas?!?

This was an attitude adjustment, his attitude is what got him a 911 call and the worst treatment by the authorities.
The amount of power he took is probably more than $0.05, but it's impossible to calculate without it being metered. I'm sure charging a car battery draws more current than a cell phone does.

For those who suggest it is not a "criminal" act, consider this. In most major cities sneaking onto public transportation without paying is considered by the law as "theft of service". But what has the person stolen? Certainly nothing tangible, as the bus was going to run its route regardless of who was on it. But it is a crime and it is treated as such, petty though the crime may be.

The guy is an activist. Activists seek to defy the establishment, sometimes for personal gain. Some people have nothing better to do with their lives than to challenge authority, usually resulting in drawing attention to themselves. Maybe that's their motive. If you bait the cops you are sure to get attention, but it may be a negative experience.