View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Having another sensor and the ability to confirm if it is working properly will put you way ahead on proper diagnosis and I think you will see your mileage objectives. If traffic is moving that quickly and your daughter is a good driver, see if she can hook up with a drafting partner. Tell her to leave 3 stripes (minimum) between her and the host vehicle. Feel totally free to ignore this advice if you think it could lead to any trouble of any kind.

I find that on I64 between Richmond and Hampton Va, picking up a drafting partner is as good as lowering your average speed by almost 15 MPH and that's from 65-70 (Interstate limit is 70 MPH here) and 55 (Older US routes). A larger vehicle will also let traffic behind her know she is not driving at higher speeds.

Realistically, if she settles on a 75 MPH (flow with traffic is safest) speed and can maintain a draft SAFELY, then you might see 40 MPG.

Also you want to see if lean burn is working and it sounds like you have the equipment and knowledge to accomplish that.

If she can average a safe speed and manitain lean burn at that speed, then you should get to maybe even mid 40S for mileage, but the limiting factor is going to be the much higher aero drag at that high a speed.

Maybe some subtle aero work, but watch your cooling system temps if you block a lot of the grille and make sure your radiator is not on it's last leg, which if it is original, it must be very close to replacement time.

Minimize AC use, but a gal needs to stay cool.

regards
Mech