View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #179 (permalink)
minispeed
EcoModding Apprentice

minispeed-Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.15 mpg (US)

MDX - '01 Acura MDX Touring
90 day: 22.29 mpg (US)

the wife's car - '13 Toyota Prius Plus
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)

leaf-one - '15 Nissan Leaf SV
We had -16C here and about 10 inches of snow, got my worst ever round trip 90mi at about 53mpg. The roads were not plowed for most of the trip so the rolling resistance was very bad. Engine temps still got up quickly with a full grill block and would stay around 85-95C with full heat except on a long downhill section where the instant MPG was around 120ish and the engine temps started dropping off from 76 to about 66 when I turned off the heater.

I don't have a block heater yet and I was at about -12 when I started, warmed up only as long as it took to clear my car and the path to my wifes car of snow but quickly the temp got up to 27 when I left and it climbed steady with no driveability issues at all.

I've put an oil filled heater in it that I plug in at the same time as my grid charger. It's on a timer to come on about an hour before I leave. I pushed the passenger seat all the way forward, when I'm driving I'll recline it to keep the heater in place while moving. That should reduce my reliance on the cabin heater during warm up and make the drive a lot more comfortable. I should do the block heater soon. I wanted a drain plug OEM style but maybe I'll get lazy and do the magnetic one. Which one did you get?