View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
spacemanspif
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Target driving, what am I doing wrong?

Hey all,

My previous tank saw a decrease to 34.5mpg in my Saturn. For the past 2 tanks I tried to employ target driving aided by my vacuum gauge. Last tank I got 37.8mph in relatively bad weather. As noted, this last tank (have yet to update my log) showed 34.5(ish) mpg.

Seems to me that target driving isn't yielding better results than just using my cruise control. The method I use to target drive is to get up to 60mph and hold my foot steady so my vacuum gauges wanders as little as possible. On flat, 15in-hg gets me 60mph so I try to hold as close to 15 as possible no matter the hill or valleys.

Am I doing something wrong? I am under the assumption that target driving is "pick a throttle position and hold it". I don't let my speed dip below 55mph so some hills get an extra dose of the pedal to not hold up traffic.

On the flip side, when I use cruise, the vacuum gauge can swing as low 4in-hg going up hills and ~25in-hg on the down slope.

My commute doesn't have what many would call hills if they grew up around mountains, for all intents and purposes, Delaware is flat but the highway I use has A LOT of overpasses. I'm wondering if they just aren't big enough to notice a difference between steady pedal and steady speed...

Any ideas?

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"