View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #255 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Busted Strut Mount

The Electric Booger has been running great. Now that the weather turned cold...well...for around here, around freezing, I definitely notice the lack of performance (AKA voltage sag). But my range hasn't been affected much, or so it seems. Not that I ever exploit the full range of the car anyway.

A few weeks ago I started to get a squeaking noise coming from the right rear strut area. At first I thought it was a problem with the ex-rear seat, battery rack, hatch or even the body cracking because of the extra weight. Then the noise progressed to a clicking noise. Then on Thursday, as I rounded a corner and hit a bump, there was a large BANG, followed by a constant RATTLE CLUCK KNOCKIDY KNOCK KNOCK. I stopped for a quick visual and finding nothing obvious, I kept driving.

Up on the jack with some interior panels removed, I was startled to find that the right rear strut mount had rusted right through and broke. Here's a video:

It turns out that a guy at work used to have a Mazda Protege and an extra brand new strut mount, which also broke on him and also fits MX-3s. I gave him a few bucks for it, borrowed his spring compressor and made short work of making the repair.

Check out the rustiness:

And the knackered strut mount:

I should probably get another strut mount for the left side and replace it as well, just to be a little bit proactive, hey?