View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
spacemanspif
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doviatt View Post
What has the temperatures been like for your driving lately? Do you do extra warm up time in the mornings before you head out?

I have to say 48% over EPA numbers for your car is nothing to complain about.
My commute is almost all highway and the baseline that this site uses is the combined rating. The car is rated at 22/32/26 for city, highway and combined so I'm happy to be beating the highway numbers running around town but like all of us, I'd rather be doing better. Temps here are swinging quite wildly; teens at night high 40s during the day but some days staying in the low 30s. If there is frost on my windshield in the morning I start the car, scrape off the windows and then head out for work. Probably doesn't take more than a couple minutes and I like to give it some time to circulate the oil a little before heading out. With the cold mornings I am on the highway before the car reaches operating temp, in the summer I'm at operating temp by the time I exit my development

Just have to keep at it I guess. I'm going to try to steady throttle this tank of gas and see I can do. If it's low again, I'll switch back to CC set to 60mph like I had be doing since I signed up here. Lots of little things I want to do still like sealing around the headlights and the hood gaps; just never got to them in the summer and glue won't stick very well in the cold...

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"