View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
You're on the right track keeping the speed up through turns. My girlfriend frequently screams at me for scaring her when I do this.

Lowering the car is good for aerodynamics as well as allowing you to corner faster (which means, with less energy used in braking, then re-accelerating). Just be sure not to wreck the alignment. You say you're a mechanic, so I'm sure you're on top of that. The alignment should be as "straight ahead" as you can make it. As far as tire pressure vs. cornering speed, that sounds like a place where a compromise will need to be made. I pump my tires up to 60 psi, and don't really have any complaints about my car's cornering ability. I'm sure it suffers some, but it isn't usually an issue.

It was once, though. I was entering a "roundabout" and I had gone about 640 miles on that tank already, and was REALLY nervous about running out of gas. I was headed to a gas station, and trying to maximize everything. So I didn't brake for the roundabout, and ended up skidding into the curb HARD - bent my rim and my lower control arm. OOPS! I sure felt stupid after that. But I think that incident was more a factor of going too fast than having my tires aired-up too much - - - in retrospect, I doubt I would have made that turn even with optimum tire pressure.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmjinman For This Useful Post:
1slw4dr (12-20-2013)