Thread: Diamond Lube
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #48 (permalink)
DiamondLube
EcoModding Lurker

You missed the whole point, it applies to all friction barriers. Those Japs are sure smart to have invented this all on their own with a 2008 filing date, but I filed in 2006 and am still waiting. I suggest demanding Nissan give you all the nanodiamond you require for your tests as just because they are claiming something similar as I, they are probably mistaken. After all they are just a automobile company with little expertise in engine mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
Nissan Motor Co. was just granted Patent 8,598,098 for "A lubricant composition ... to significantly lower a friction coefficient ... diamond nano-particle"

The patent lists some test results where adding diamond nanoparticles reduced coefficients of friction. BUT, those results only apply to boundary layer lubrication. They do not apply to engine components which have fluid film lubrication. The improved friction may apply to cam lobes, especially at low RPM. Most engine components have fluid film lubrication, where the friction losses are proportional to lubricant viscosity. Since only a small part of engine friction is caused by boundary lubrication, the end result of adding the diamond nanoparticles will be only a small reduction in total engine friction. A small reduction in engine friction is an even improvement in gas mileage.

All of which is why he did not respond to my challenge to test his additive and pay double or nothing depending on the results.