View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
ScotD
EcoModding Lurker

Smurf, thanks also.

Yes, I've noticed that the Ninja 250 is popular and understand some of the reasons. I don't feel I need that much power, but will consider.

There are advantages to starting with a scooter - the rear 2/3 of the scooter - chassis and drivetrain - can probably be used pretty much as-is - the layout/configuration is right, so that can make the build a lot easier (I think, but may decide that a completely new frame/chassis makes more sense, in which case no reason to start with a scooter). It could also give me a head-start on getting it licensed since I'd just be modifying an already legal, licensed machine. I'd still have to get the modifications approved, and am in process of learning what that will take here in Washington State.

And yes, I've realized that ATV parts don't make sense . . . I don't want to use regular automotive front suspension (for example VW or Mustang 2) because of weight. I know there are street legal rigs out there with suitable suspension, I just haven't discovered where/how to access. I'm hoping that will become clear fairly soon, perhaps helped along by the California Commuter plans I'll receive shortly.