View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
DrEMHmrk2
Toor Poor for Gas

Sick Dub - '01 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6
90 day: 39.01 mpg (US)

Pocketknife - '03 Suzuki DR200 SE
90 day: 97.44 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to DrEMHmrk2
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Stone chips may be the biggest actual problem, but it's not the biggest potential problem.

I don't like drafting & don't recommend it. There's no argument it works to reduce fuel consumption (have you seen the Myth Busters episode?), but I don't like to give up the ability to see ahead.

From a defensive driving perspective, when you draft, you more or less hand control of your vehicle to the driver in front of you. If s/he brakes, you're pretty much forced to immediately brake also. It's reactive vs. proactive.

This subject came up in a thread last week: Drafting off center?
You're right, it's not the safest possible plan, but then again one could argue that shutting the engine off and letting a Dodge Caravan coast without power breaks or steering could cause you to potentially not have enough control to avoid an accident...

I'm just being facetious, but in the right situation, it may be safe to argue that a big rig driver has some of the most experience and therefore could be one of the better drivers on the road to hand control over to.

To the OP, trust your judgment, if you are behind the truck and start to feel nervous, back off and let it go. I just know that when I find a truck going the exact same speed that my cruise will click into, I draft him for as long as I feel comfortable.