View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #324 (permalink)
godscountry
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post
Update 018

So I’ve just completed the basic prep list before my next test run, and I had a quick spin around the block on the machine to ensure I didn’t waste time and money on a venue hire fee, and hit problems.
Its been almost a year since I last drove it and today’s drive was like a fresh experience. So some aspects of the vehicle were quite a surprise – notably the weight and its effect on ground handling.
By “ground handling” I mean the time when the vehicle is not being moved under its own power. From the seated position, keeping the vehicle upright is no problem but it needs a parking brake since the force vector from the supporting leg tends to push the machine backwards.

The vehicle feels much heavier than I remember and it is extremely awkward to manhandle without a helper. This would be remedied by fitting a easily deployable stand and some handles or body features that enable easy holding, the smooth bodywork gives you nothing to work with.

Anyway, since I’ve been adding weight with everything that I’ve made, I thought it wise to check what it is now. So here’s a photo of the vehicle on cornerweight scales.

The results are –
Total weight (empty vehicle) : 205kg Front wheel : 85 Rear wheel :120
Total weight (me seated inside):274kg Front wheel :112 Rear wheel: 162

So it’s put on some weight and needs a diet. I’ve been making things in steel, for speed and simplicity and I knew things were heavier than ideal but it was still a shock to be over my target at this stage.
not that you want to build another vehicle but,if your happy with the ride and general handling,duplicate it in small diameter chrome moly or aluminum tube or square stock,using a spool welder with the mig to weld it.I remember reading about the 214 mpg Honda and that the body added 88 pounds,but had little affect on the overall mpg.But I can see in your case,the performance with that kind of extra weight might not be up to your needs ,for all around driveability .