View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeworkhome53 View Post
Question for you aero guys. Instead of an air dam how about a leading wing to lift the air over the car. The wing would be adjustable and replicate the aero angle on the front of the car. I've been looking over this grill block, air dam, belly pan situation for my car and it occured to me an all in one solution would be to lift the air up to the already aeroed front area of the car. Photo is for demonstration purposes. I drive only paved roads and with experimentation I could get it fairly close to the road maybe 4'' and direct all that air over the top. I would leave the top grill open for cooling. There are two heavy towing members right under the bumper which would be ideal for primary attachment points and the bumper has a plate bracket that should work for the angle adjust support. I have a plate of reinforced aluminum that should hold the load from the front and maybe add some wings on the end to fill the gaps and push air out around the front tires. Jump in with sugestions please.
I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the front end as it is.You don't need more air over the top,ideally,you'd want equal portions over top and sides.Anything good happening in front of your wing would be undone by what happened behind it.All this stuff has been tried and failed.For a STOL aircraft,I'd say,go for it.For a car I'd say no-no!