View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
2007 ion2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
It would be interesting to see the EPA tests and how they are done. Obviously the M/T is not being driven to it's full potential. I've always wondered why CVT transmissions never get better MPG than manuals. They were suppose to be the answer to auto vs manual problem for MPG, for Honda at least. Infinite gear ratios, always accelerating at the best RPM, low cruising speed, etc. I guess it all comes down to how the power is transferred to the tires, and the M/T just makes better use of it (and with much more control).
The CVT has more control, but it would be nice to see a new manual control scheme, maybe instead of a manual mode allowing selection of "gears", cutting the crap and letting us select an RPM, instead, and locking it in. I think, more specifically, the problem lies in the same area as other automatics. while they are more "locked in" more of the time, as the ratio change is handled by a sliding mechanism, as opposed to a traditional automatic having to change gears, even though they're probably lighter, since all you should need is two shafts and some belts to connect them, I think they're still handicapped by needing a pump, manifold, torque converter, and more rotating mass than a manual transmission, and more parasitic loss from the hydraulic systems used to automate shifting/idling. the real revolution in automatic transmission MPG will come when they make the rotating mass low enough and the hydraulic systems efficient enough.