View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
ttoyoda
Master EcoModder

Danger Will Robinson

Quote:
my only issue is that rear hub. gears 1 and 3 are good, but it "skips" in 2. i've played with cable adjustment with no noticeable help, which makes me think there is something wrong inside. plus i just want to take it apart and put it back together again, guess its my nature.
If you do take it apart, be EXTREMELY careful. The inside is a mess of special nuts and washers with tabs and internal slots. All these parts look very, very similar, and unless you have exact instructions, or you can document (I would make sketches, video or photos alone often don't show that critical detail between otherwise identical parts) the order and *orientation* of every piece, you will be doomed. I would suggest you keep each tiny piece in a seperate container, and label the containers to match your sketch.

A three speed hub is the only thing I ever took apart that I did not work when I got it back together. It was locked all the time.

The problem is probably due to some oil having dried up inside over the years and some ratchet or pawl is sticking. If I had to deal with it, I would de-lace the wheel, and soak the hub in Kroil for a week to see if that fixed it. I would only take it apart as a last resort unless I had first-rate (factory) documentation of every step of dis and re assembly.