Thread: An easy 13.6%
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
The government says it's good ... so it must be good for me. Even if the economics don't play out and it actually uses more fossil fuel to product.

If I put 10% ethanol in my vehicle and lose 10% fuel mileage because of the ethanol, doesn't it mean that the fossil fuels that went into making the ethanol are kind of wasted at this point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Would you say that if every kernal was made into tortillas?

And nobody ever, ever had water in the gas problems before ethanol. Not. There were far more water problems back in the day than there are now.
Fuel injection plays a large part in that.

I did surprise myself yesterday. I woke up to about 8'' of snow while at my parents. Didn't feel like shoveling, so I decided to get the snowblower out. The only two cycle gas I found was 3 years old (last time I lived there and used any sort of two cycle equipment).

To my surprise, it did run. Actually fired up on the first try. But ... the last time I used it, I drained the gas completely out of the tank, cleaned the line with fresh gas and drained the carburetor. It also smoked a lot but that was from the oil put in the cylinder to keep it from seizing.

I don't think non-ethanol gas would have fared any different.

I have never used "dry gas" and probably never will. I don't go below 1/2 tank in either of my vehicles and if I have to leave either one for any period of time, I fill the tank up and let it sit.