View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #106 (permalink)
Seatofpants
EcoModding Lurker

Its a cold rainy morning, and I just decided to sit down at the computer and see what was what. I don't normally post on forums, just enjoy reading. Though I got to reading this post, and like so many other posts I've read of other folks, it spends years tossed around in trying to design something on the computer, but nothing gets built. Either trying to figure out what materials to use, or trying to make an impractical idea practical. I used to have this problem also. I had all kinds of ideas on what I wanted to build also. I wanted to do this, I wanted to do that, etc, etc. I wanted certain aerodynamic features, I wanted that for power. And guess where it got me. No where. Nothing got started, nothing got done, but a bunch of sketches. One day I sent an email to Jory of Moonbeam fame, and asked a few questions. And in one of his responses, got an answer I needed. I doesn't matter how you get started, as long as you get started. All the planning in the world doesn't do any good, unless you get out in the garage or wherever with some parts and start building.
So instead of over planning, I went out to the garage with a few simple ideas, and just started building. I knew I wanted seating for two. I knew I wanted three wheels to classify as a motorcycle. I also have a lot of limitations. I have work, kids, I have extremely limited funds. I have to work within my means and abilities. It means that while it may not be all that I imagined, it will be something that I built, over something that I just dreamed about building. I'm not worried about snow, because honestly, I probably won't drive it in the snow. I have a regular car to drive for that. In the snow, I'm not worried about mpg, I am worried about making it to where I am going. Its something to drive all the other times. Truth is, a car built for ultimate mpg commuting is not going to be good for 100% of your needs. Its purpose built to fill a certain need. But the more practical you make it, the more use you will get out of it. If the front kisses the ground every time I pull in or out of the driveway, then I won't want to drive it as much.
Granted that it is not finished yet, but every weekend I get a little further. Buying parts when I can. A lot of which come from the junkyard. Spindles from one old car, steering rack from another, windshield glass from yet another car, etc. If you have the money and ability to fabricate parts out of exotic materials, great, if not, use what you can find and know how to work with. And have a good imagination. Best thing I did was take ideas of making something other people might want, and chucking them in the far corners of the garage, and making something that works for me. Something I enjoy, that functions well and fills the void of needing a car that gets good mpg for commuting or running to the store for dogfood. I don't want to set up a build log, or even post pics, except for maybe when its done. For those of us with minimal amounts of time, these are traps.
I guess what I am saying is, damn the torpedoes, just start building.
Sorry for rambling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seatofpants For This Useful Post:
deejaaa (01-02-2014), Frank Lee (12-30-2013)