Thread: Kamm-rack
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
So, I am not totally clear that I know what you are building... test me... it's a kamm-back that extends 4 feet aft of the rear bumper? If so I don't think there is a way on ourcars' bodies to avoid obstructing the trunk opening, except with the trunk operation mechanism that I think Christafoo developed.
Errr... yeah... trunk... those are useful, especially for long trips, where you would particularly want a boat-tail.

Since I left it at home and drove to my parents' without it, here comes Windows Paint!

So sorry...

First of all, I need to figure out how to redo the bike rack, I thought that the "vertical" bars would extend beyond the template, but the cross bar and top joint does.

Red is the Kamm-back, which would need to be shorter, because the trunk swings further forward. Purple is the bike rack, blue is some kind of magical-mystical PVC frame that will rule the world, and that lovely lime green is the detachable Kamm-back.

The idea is that the red part stays mounted, I load my trunk, attach the bike rack, and win!

Another idea that I have had is to make the full Kamm-back, cut out the portion directly above the trunk and put it on a hinge, with a fastener. Maybe I could use something like Christofoo's technique.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kamm-rack.png
Views:	189
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	14333