View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
"People can't afford their own places" I don't buy into this. This is a choice. While many maybe priced out many more choose to spend their resources in other areas cell phones, cable, new cars, dinning out and the list goes on. My neighbors are such a family ( multi-generational ) 3 ford f-150s and a mustang, only one economy in car the bunch it's new and driven like an F1 on race day.

There is also the trend that ever one must start out with a Mc Mansion and start renovating it the day after they move in.
True that. ^

The media- drama queens that they are- constantly run hard luck stories about the jobless, the homeless, the dwindling standard of living, the paltry retirement savings rate, the decline in Social Security retirement benefits, etc., etc., and they all have one thing in common: they focus on INCOME while barely- almost in passing- mention people's EXPENDITURES. Yes some people really did do the right things and still had bad outcomes, but the vast majority of the time when they interview the bozos for these stories, it is clear that said bozo was living for the moment and spent their way into oblivion. Gives me schaudenfreude every time.

Oh, poor, poor Uhmericans. Everybody has a new SUV (with an overused Autostarter), a big screen TV with cable or satellite, wireless service, cell phones, the McMansion (all 4000 sq ft of it perfectly climate controlled), and every free moment is spent tearing around in that SUV to malls and restaurants. Waaaaah, poor, poor Uhmericans.

P.S. I am working on an itemized accounting of my expenses for '13- even though I've always kept a close eye on my expenses, this is something I've never done before. I can say one thing now: I spent $98 on groceries in '13.

I'm doing pretty well for living individually not communally.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 01-02-2014 at 10:03 AM..