View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beluga View Post
I drove a 666cc car in Japan, often up to 70mph on their toll freeways. Doable. Not comfortable but doable. 3 cylinder car. That thing had tires as skinny as the moped I also drove there. And I once drove 8 people down the road in it.

I think 1.2-1.5L is PUHLENTY for US roads. I wish my current car was 1.5L or less instead of 2.0L, but I didn't have many (in hindsight not so affordable) used options to choose from on craigslist...

If you're maxing out at 70mph, no reason to have anything over 1.5L. And if you're on ecomodder, we're all doing around 50-65mph on freeways no?

Having drove a Chevy Spark and Mitsubishi Mirage (both with <1.3L engines) there is no problem with a smaller engine and keeping up with traffic. Neither car was "fast", but neither car had a problem keeping up with traffic.

On the highway, they both got a bit buzzy. If they could get a 6 speed transmission with higher 6th gear they would be a lot better on the highway.

The most I run on the highway is 65 and that's only on the way to work. If I'm on a weekend trip or vacation trip, I usually don't go above 60. If I am not in a rush, why would I want to drive quicker? Nicer to have a relaxing drive now and then.

My Jeep ... I don't go much above 55. Not safe.