View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I second RedPoint5, the engine code reader alone is worth its money, and all of the additional information an aftermarket MPG gauge is also important. Someone once told me that too many people, including mechanics, limit their diagnostics to reading codes, and I spent shops twice what I had previously paid for my Ultraguage, and all they did was use their own code reader.

My understanding is that a code reader tells where you to start diagnosing, but it almost seems like I am better off reading the code, fixing whatever it says is wrong, and going from there.

One morning I drove to the shop simply to have my oil change. I had a CEL, so I had them take care of both, but they wanted $500 to replace my knock sensor, with a "Faulty Knock Sensor" code. The part was $85. It was one bolt and I simply needed to unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

Code readers are good tools for saving money and so are MPG gauges. One thing that I have not read here is that factory gauges tend to be something like 5% off, while you can calibrate an aftermarket one, so that it is much more accurate.