View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #56 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Following my previous question, I have another. Actually we have another as I was pondering this with Eric, my pet Unicorn, this evening...

Assuming the negative energy in vs. energy out formula exists for HHO then is there a place for HHO as a lighter weight Hybrid replacement ?

Work with me here - batteries are as good at storing energy as we have, which is basically quite crap. A lot of the energy fed into (for e.g.) a Prius battery pack does not come out as energy - it kind of gets lost as heat etc. So we have a kind of "less energy out vs. energy in" model already.

So if you rigged HHO to only produce at the same points a Prius charges the batteries (e.g. overrun, regen, high speed cruise etc.) and store the Hydrogen then it could be available to use when needed just like the electric assist a Prius (or indeed a Gen 2 Insight) does.

Of course the energy needed to store a gas, a flamable gas at that, might just kill this idea as you have to compress it and carry a highly compressed cylinder somewhere which adds weight.

But then again batteries add weight too.

Just wondering.
undeRGRound (11-11-2014)