View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #57 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

I will think about your post a bit more thoroughly. But . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Following my previous question, I have another. Actually we have another as I was pondering this with Eric, my pet Unicorn, this evening...

Assuming the negative energy in vs. energy out formula exists for HHO then is there a place for HHO as a lighter weight Hybrid replacement ?

Work with me here - batteries are as good at storing energy as we have, which is basically quite crap. A lot of the energy fed into (for e.g.) a Prius battery pack does not come out as energy - it kind of gets lost as heat etc. So we have a kind of "less energy out vs. energy in" model already.

So if you rigged HHO to only produce at the same points a Prius charges the batteries (e.g. overrun, regen, high speed cruise etc.) and store the Hydrogen then it could be available to use when needed just like the electric assist a Prius (or indeed a Gen 2 Insight) does.

Of course the energy needed to store a gas, a flamable gas at that, might just kill this idea as you have to compress it and carry a highly compressed cylinder somewhere which adds weight.

But then again batteries add weight too.

Just wondering.
Storing large amounts of stoichiometric hydrogen/oxygen is like storing explosives. My son and his brain damaged college buddies take balloons filled with the gas generator output down to the creek near the shop and ignite them. They sound like shotguns going off!

Storage is not recommended.