View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
bobesser
EcoModding Lurker

New hot rodder type

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking on the site for a while and I thought I should post an introduction. I am Bob Esser. I am an engineer. I like interesting engineering challenges. I like fast cars. I like safe motorcycles (oxymoron?). I basically like anything with an engine. I usually track my mpgs for any vehicle, but, as much as a diagnostic as anything else.

I must admit, I don't like hypermiling and I don't think I will ever do it. I had a Mini Cooper JCW for a while. I tried laying off the gas for a couple of tanks. I did notice a 5% improvement in mpg, but, it was really unsatisfying to drive that way.

For hobby, I autocross my car. I used to do High Performance Driving Events when I had free time (before my son was born). I like driving sporty and technical.

I recently took a huge step backward in the mpg department as I moved from a MINI cooper JCW (28 mpg) to a BMW M3 (18 mpg). I had started a new job with a 90 minute commute each way (a couple times a week) and I found that my back/butt couldn't handle sitting in the MINI that long - the seats just didn't work for me in that driving cycle.

Revisiting the hypermiling and mpg topic, I like engineering challenges. So, while I don't intend to hypermile, I do like to modify my vehicles. If I can do so and improve mpg, that would be great. So, I can see myself doing mild things like underbody panels and partial radiator blockoffs, I don't anticipate boat tails and hypermiling experiments. (read as non-extreme engineering solutions, not behaviorial ones). By the way, if anyone knows where to locate 18" moon-eye type hubcaps, that would be great.

Bob