View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #53 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
streamlining at the rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
Todays progress has brought the left rear quarter of X-Car, version... "Old Style Beetle reversed on the chassis, and streamlined", to a place where I'd like to hear comments on the streamlining at the rear. It's hard to see all of the shape due to the lighting. There will be a cover over the wheel at least 1/2 to 2/3.
I have found a couple of running Beetles locally, which would make a good starter car for the build, but they are actually in such nice shape, I'd hate to cut um up! Got mold making materials ordered to make copies of the 1/6 scale new Beetle.
I went through the Illuminati Motors Works build album today, studying their construction methods. Interesting build, and it gave me some good ideas for body forming, but putting that car in "Production" would be a nightmare.
Ahh, Winter in Southern AZ, t'shirts and shorts...sorry, I couldn't resist, you in the North can get me back in July!
I printed a copy of your side elevation photo and enlarged it to fit the AST to analyze it both as a normal saloon body,and a Jaray combination form.
*The roofline descends as steep as 36-degrees,which might work if it was a very narrow single-seat,or tandem layout (think P-38 Lightning cockpit).
*With a shoulder-to-shoulder side by side cabin you'd be looking at Paul Jaray's narrowest 'Kombination' car of Cd 0.245 potential (about half the drag of the original Beetle).
*With a standard width cabin,you'd have separation right as your contour hit 22-23-degrees down-slope,with horrific attached vortices and higher drag.
*Your lower body,minus the greenhouse is fine.Although I'd recommend dropping the leading edge of the nose down even with the belly of the chassis.You don't want any high pressure ram-air striking under the nose or you'll have the same front lift of the Beetle.
*How you do the greenhouse is going to determine your outcome.
*If you can find a photo of the upcoming 2016 VW Golf,you'll see that it's roofline is right on the 'Template',with Cd 0.24,same as today's Tesla S.This more gradual contour is a sure thing for flow attachment on a standard width cabin.
CFECO (01-04-2014)