View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
No, because CFLs and especially LEDs last much longer, on average. So you'd have to buy maybe 6 incandescents over the life of one CFL, and maybe 40 to match an LED.
I realize that. But (as I mentioned) the initial coast of the item offsets the future gains - so you are not recouping as much as you might like to believe (or are perhaps being led to believe) that you are.

Quote:
Why? I mean why a dimmer? Even with incandescents, you're taking an already inefficient technology and making it even more inefficient.
Because it's a cooking and dining area and I want a variable control to be able to regulate the level of lighting, as desired.

Quote:
Landline phone was $32/month when I dropped it. Pay-as-you-go cell is $7/month. Haven't noticed any difference in reliability myself.
I did the same. The reliability of my current wireless home phone system is about 95% of what my land line was. I find that acceptable. However, when someone calls me and they are on a cell phone, sometimes their signal breaks up. Then I need to say repeatedly "repeat what you said, your cell is breaking up." It's annoying.