View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Quezacotl
Scandinavian creature

Golf ball - '94 Volkswagen Golf III
90 day: 28.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncro_user View Post
Not related to the topic I'm afraid, but did you have to change any of the other components of your fuel system to suit the E85? I have an E85 station near me (Mäntsälä) and was thinking about converting the Golf to run on it. I heard that the rubber o-rings in the fuel system could degrade in contact with methanol, and that the fuel pump would need to be changed.

On the original topic, and I don't know the mpguino at all, but could you change the injector flow rate stored in the mpguino until it matches the actual fuel consumed? Just fooling it into thinking the engine has bigger injectors/worse FE - it doesn't need to know what fuel you're using, or does it?
I did'nt have to change any parts.
Only things that you possibly need to do is adjust the timing, or else it affects the acceleration.
And after some time of using only E85, you need to change your oil filter and oil because the ethanol cleans the motor. But that is every year routine anyway.
My car can handle E85 without any boxes on summer, but on winter, either a box or five times of cranking until it starts.
About the O-rings and such, as i have read and heard, those are issues of old cars and stories when people were making moonshine to run their cars. New (around 90's) are already ethanol resistant.

MPGuino does'nt know what fuel you are using. It only counts the duration of injector pulses. Regardless what values you have stored, it should display anything else than 0.00 consumption.

Brrrmm
Now selling preassembled MPGuino's!
http://www.mthtek.net/mpguino/