View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #338 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

Thanks, this seems to be my answer.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/384673-post305.html

Unrelated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
Thanks for the reply Visionary, I didn't want to highjack your thread, a brief description follows :-
1981 Honda 90zz, basically standard frame, forks and wheels. The original 90cc motor was replaced with a Honda 125 4 speed motor after the original motor seized (3 times). This was probably due to over revving because of the decreased wind resistance and standard gearing.
The new motor came out of an ATC 3 wheeler farm bike and fitted straight in. It has a Hi/Low ratio gearbox which at the moment is geared for 65 mph at 8500 rpm. which it will achieve under favorable conditions. Those extra 35cc's and the fourth gear make a world of difference.
It will do in excess of 120 mpg with the throttle pinned while drafting HGV's even though the carburation is not fully sorted. I have located a 'dustbin' fairing, which I hope to fit soon.
I'm unable to post a photo of the wee beastie yet (less than 5 posts) so I've put 3 photos into my album, I assume these will be available to anyone who is interested.
You should really start your own build thread, that is a fascinating vehicle you have there. I seem to have arrived at the same line of thinking about the Honda Cub a little late, but look at all of these wonderful examples i've stumbled upon!

I'm curious about the Cubs handling at 65mph. For a motorbike that normally wouldn't reach that speed. Is the frame strong and stiff? And how much weight could it reasonably hold? Tire's good? I've read tubed tires have greater rolling resistance, but those tires are really skinny compared to most motorcycle tires.