View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilden View Post
Dont worry about not being able to read it. Just my bad drawing. The symbols are meant to represent batteries, and my agument was that, if you can have 48 AA batteries in series to produce 72v at 2.7amps, and you can have 37 batteries in parallel to produce 100amps at 1.5v, surely, if you join those two circuits together you could produce 73.5v at 102.7amps. Or am I talking a load of rubbish?
I know this is an old thread but because this wasn't answered and for anybody reading it in the future.

Adding a series string of cells (72v 2.7A) to a parallel stack of cells (1.5v 100A) will not achieve the desired results. You will end up with a 73.5v battery with 2.7A maximum current.

When cells are connected in series your maximum current draw is limited by whichever cell(s) have the smallest maximum current draw. This is because when connected in series the same current flows through each cell.

To achieve the 72v AND 100A battery you could use the AA cells but you would need to connect them in 37 parallel strings of cells, each of the strings would have 48 cells in series. So you would need 1776 AA batteries. (based on each cell being 1.5v with a maximum current of 2.7amps)

So possible, but practical? That is a huge number of cell connections and points of failure. Also monitoring the state of charge of all these cells would be extremely costly or time consuming. Then if one or more of the cells do go bad, it may prove difficult to locate. Correctly charging and balancing this number of cells would be a nightmare.