View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
bobesser
EcoModding Lurker

yes, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Welcome,

There are several BMWs listed in the garage. If your mileage results are that bad, it would make your ride the thirstiest Bimmer in the book. There are a few M5s listed that state a lower EPA rating, but evidently the owners couldn't be bothered to do more than just list their cars the one time.
Based on Fuelly, I am getting a bit better than typical on my car. The M3 is thirsty - no argument there, and it is sort of an anomaly in the BMW book because most of their offerings have fairly decent mpg.
Quote:
If you're into elbows-out driving, I'll bet you're running some sticky tires. That's going to hold you back some.

Air control is your friend. The less of it actually banging into parts of your car, the better. Barring that, if you can shove it to the side once instead of having it bang and tumble and bang again, do that.
'Elbows out'? not sure what that means.

The M3 has a partial underpanel on it from the factory. I think I can clean it up some, but, not much due to the exhaust and such. That said, I think I can at least put an airdam that is deeper and perhaps clean up some underside air near the front.

My fab skills are not great (for aesthetic parts at least). I would consider moon eye hubcaps and if I could make them look nice, I would do skirts.

Quote:

A driver unwilling to make compromises toward the goal of higher mileage is going to have very limited results. The M3 is an entertaining ride but really - how much of that capability can you use on your commute without getting lit up by the highway patrol? Shenanigans on the road = unpleasant introductions and giving your autograph to people you'd rather didn't have it.
As a rule, I don't drive like an idiot on the road, but, I do autocross, and I like to drive fast on closed courses - and then, I do use the capability.

I am very much a technologist, and I am sure that there are technological solutions. I do realize that behavioral changes will net very good results too. For me, hypermiling kind of sucks the joy out of driving, but, if behavioral was the only way, people wouldn't be on here putting extended tails on cars and such. Also, I like to mod and fiddle with stuff, so, mods seem the natural way for me.

Quote:

If your car is on 18" alloys, will smoothie wheel discs even work? Gotta have that little rim for those clips to grab.

Open a garage page for your car. "M3" only tells us it's a 3-series with a gym membership. How old, what equipment etc.
I also am not sure if smoothies will work on the rims, but, it is worth trying. The M3 is the 2008 M3 Sedan, so, it has the 4.0 V8 (thirsty). It does have the fancy suspension, so, (I think) it is about 10mm lower from the factory. Unfortunately it is difficult and thus expensive to lower it and keep the electronic suspension, so, additional lowering may not be in the cards.

Bob