View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
justpassntime
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Low $$$ Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gascort View Post
justpassintime, I wanted to use sheet metal, but I couldn't find any cheaper than $1 per square foot. I tried to find a salvage box truck that I could cut from, but never thought of cutting it from a car in the junkyard! Looks nice.
My materials were technically $0 too, but I had to buy the sheet metal screws, washers, and duct tape since I was out at home.

Preliminary results for the grill block and wheel skirts: +2 mpg on the highway: New high - 47.2 mpg today!
Grill block:
I have to finish them yet, I basically threw them together, wanted to make sure they were worth the time. I used regular rivets I want to replace them with flush rivets but need to order a dimpling tool for that. So by the time I get through fussing with them and get them painted. They won't be free anymore, but will pay for themselves many times over.

I want to do the grill block thing too but want to make it so it opens and closes when the fan comes on or I think it needs more air. I live in eastern Washington and it does get in the high 90s and even into the 100s at times.
This last saturday it was 102 in the shade.