View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
justpassntime
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Gas suckin popups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
I had the exact same car, and wondered about FE night versus day from the headlights popped up. Word from a Honda tech I know is the wiring goes bad and the so do the drive motors on the pop-up doors.

Your new lights look great, same with the skirts!

I sort of checked it during this bonzai run from The SF Bay Area to Wendover UT (Bonneville). I left at 3:am, and I thought I measured about a 1.5mpg decrease because of the lights. But the more I think about it, my test was far from scientific. I was speeding the entire way and going over the Sierra-Nevada mountain range. I can't conclude anything other than at 90mph most of the way, popped up headlight should have decreased my FE :-) LOL
I checked mileage one time with lights popped up vs daytime with them down. Weather conditions were the same and the pop ups sucked a whopping 4 mpg. That's when I decided to change them. Plus it looks better too.

I think I could actually gain a bit more if I made some flares for the rear doors to smooth the air flow to the skirts. I am sure I will get to that eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	987d2.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1074