View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
bobesser
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
If you're not doing autocross really often and have easy access to a lift and air tools, you might do very well to round up a set of narrower steel wheels for some low rolling resistance tires. I say steel wheels because they have that little lip around the edge that clip-on discs will engage. Then you spend most of your time on the thriftier tires and save the sticky, expensive tires for when it matters, during events. The lift and air tools just means being able to swap the tires whenever YOU want, not at the convenience of some shop.

That V8 is a sweet mill. But it does churn through the gas, no question. I'm not familiar with them but maybe you could bounce this question around on the BMW forums too, I know there's technology-minded gearheads for every marque (with the possible exception of Kia) who have dug into their cars' engine management. You may just need to reflash the engine computer, or get your hands on a replacement one to switch in for your thriftier daily driving needs.

I'm pointing up my ignorance. I have no idea if there are anti-theft features built into a BMW computer that might prevent such swapping. Too bad if there is, swappability make converting the car from a track day athlete into a long-legged posh commuter a quick, click-click operation.
Swapping wheels is not a big deal - I do it for winter wheels already. One big problem though is fitting wheels over the brake calipers.

The BMW M engines rock. 4.0 liter V8 with a 8300 rpm redline! I used to love big torque from turbo'ed mid sized 4 cylinder engines, but, there is just something about the urgency of a high strung naturally aspirated engine.

There are definitely a few 'tuners' for my car and some will allow you to change the tune through the OBD port, so, it is definitely worth looking into. I know that the engine warm up cycle used to heat /light off the catalytic converters tends to be bad for fuel economy. The problem is that it is bad for the environment to have the warm up cycle removed. Not sure where I fall on that compromise. I am sure that there are other places in the tune to find extra fuel economy.

Bob