View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt36415 View Post
Hi, I admire lots of the work people have done here with aero mods but I do wonder about some of the parts that are not monitored by temp gagues. Auto transmission fluid in power steering and teansmissions gets very hot and its life is shortened greatly by high temps. A quick web search will give many sites that show a direct relationship between temp and fluid life.

My 98 V6 cmary has a trans oil cooler ans a small power steering fluid cooler (this is just a loop of metal tube with the fluid passing through it. It is about 1.5 feet ling and it sits in front of the radiator).

Grill blocks would reduce the airflow over these parts and as there is no temp gague for them I would never know how hot they are.

A gearbox or power steering failure is a huge cost, probably more than a lifetime of fuel saving from the grill block, even more frequent servicing of these things would probably eat up the money saved in fuel.

I have not heard any mention of this issue, possibly with the gentle driving it is not an issue? Anyone had any problems or thoughts?
*On the highway,an automatic transmission's torque converter would be locked,operating at the same mechanical efficiency as a manual (about 96%).
*Transmission heat is a function of transmitted power.
*If the grille block is lowering overall drag,then the transmitted power at any given speed will be lower,and the transmission should actually run cooler.
*Since some automatics are actually sharing the lower manifold of the radiator,the transmission,by design,may be operating at around 230-degees F.,governed,otherwise,by the engine thermostat.
*The power steering has essentially nothing to do on the highway and the ram-air flow volume of cooling air,is enormous compared to any heat flux coming off the power steering cooler.
*Modern cars are using a complete suite of full-synthetic lubes,which can withstand temps to 700-degrees F without undoing their designer long-chain molecules.
*In urban driving,the thermal clutch-fan,or electric cooling fan should protect everything.
*Internal ducting, guide vanes,and turbulence screens of a proper grille-block actually increase the delta-P across the radiator/heat-exchangers,increasing the efficiency of the factory cooling system,making the fan's work even easier.Which justifies the blocking.
Daox (01-10-2014)