View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #152 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

In reviewing my original post . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Thanks for investing in a pressure spark plug Rusty (and bringing such a device to my awareness). Would love to see the experiment in any event and I enjoy thinking about this stuff in more detail than I had previously. I do have one other operational caveat to theorize though, P&G hypermilers already target bsfc, which is on the low side of rpm and the high side of load, where ignition timing is fairly close to tdcc. I don't see how hho will help peak bsfc(would hurt it a tiny bit actually), or help a driver who's operating the vehicle with bsfc in mind since there is minimal, if any, area under the curve left of tdcc under those conditions. Am I missing something there, or is that fair speculation? Gasoline engine assumed.
. . . I realized I got all too excited and "sciencey" ( it's a real word - my wife assures me ).

In a short answer, the faster burn returns more efficiency via reduced combustion and thermal losses. However, the gains are smaller than at part load. HHO does improve full load BFSC, but only slightly. It's advantage is broadening the useful "lower floor" of the map.