View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #158 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

The chemistry behind HCCI is very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
edit: response to "sciency post"

Thanks rusty, been a long time since I did any serious chemistry, not sure I entirely followed that, but the effect is similiar to higher initial cylinder pressure (i.e. higher compression ratio or more MAP) AFAICT. I just want to be careful with the comparisons to HCCI (high compression, fine grained EGR control, and lots of it, direct injection).

Meanwhile hho is purported to have an octane rating of 50ish, and (in addition to heating the fuel/incoming air) would increase the likelihood of preignition. Whereas direct injection removes that possibility, for all practical purposes.

You don't believe HHO is on it's way to %50 efficiency, or do you?
And the implementation is vastly different than what we can do with the average car. HCCI needs fine EGR control, and direct injection along with numerous sensor feedback to control the system and keep it in the sweet spot for controlled detonation to occur. Broadening this useable sweet spot is the main thrust of research as ignition is now well understood.

And I have seen 50% thermal efficiency with HHO, but that was in a lean burn engine and that was at a singular data point. Efficiency fell off rapidly on either side. Augmented lean burn is a subject all to itself.