View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
I don’t have a Prius, I have a Celica, but here are some of the ways from my personal experience to help with a cars handling.

First, you have to have good tires on your car. I removed basically new low profile 205/50R16 tires from a budget brand off of my Celica when I first got it and replaced them with 205/65R16 high profile Michelin Energy Savers. I fully expected the handling to get worse, from the taller sidewall and the low rolling resistance tread pattern, but surprisingly it got noticeably better. I since moved on to 195/65R15s of the same type and also like them. Make sure you have a good quality tire to start with.

Aftermarket sway bars would be the next best upgrade for cornering. Matching front and rear, or for a budget build just replace the end links and bushings on the stock ones. I noticed a decent handling improvement on my Celica when I installed the aftermarket sway bars, but on my big heavy pickup truck just replacing the front bar made a significant night/day difference. On my Celica the back one was easy, but the front one was difficult enough that most people would have taken it to a shop. Do a little research and budget DIY/shop labor accordingly. Note there will also be a slight loss in comfort from stiffer sway bars, as bumps on one side affect the other side more.

Next, stiffer springs also will aid in cornering and responsiveness, but at a small loss in comfort. I chose to go with springs that will make the car sit slightly lower (less than an inch drop) but have about 50% more spring rate. This upgrade is best when timed along with replacing your shocks/struts.

Shocks/struts can also aid handling, but remember they are a limited lifespan item so don’t blow the bank getting a set. It is better to get moderate/decent ones and then replace them when they get bad.