View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
ssnsvibe09
hypermiller somewhat.....

Sierra - '13 GMC 1500 SLE
90 day: 12.24 mpg (US)

Cruze Eco - '15 chevrolet Cruze Eco
Team Chevy
90 day: 46.52 mpg (US)
I would suggest that you determine your motivation for the mod....I don't think the energy saving will be as fruitful as you hope. Gasoline fuel converted into 12 volt power is 21% efficient according to GM.

Your typical halogen headlights are 55 or 65 watts each and HID's are around 35 watt plus the ballast load. LED bulbs for DRL are around 30 watts and might require resistive loads to fool Canbus systems.

Assuming a difference of 30 watts per bulb. You are talking about a saving of 0.060 KWH or .29 KWH of gasoline. Gasoline is around 33 KWH/ Gal(US). So it looks like you are talking about a saving of around 1 ounce per hour of use.

Now imagine how long it will take to recoup the cost of the lights and installation....

another point. I would love to replace my DRL's but they are also my low beams, but from the research that I have been doing the light distribution may not be effective or even legal for aftermarket replacements.

Not all is lost though in my opinion. I am kicking around the idea of disconnecting my 9006 DRL input and maybe replacing my corner lamps with LED and using them as my DRL circuit. Apparently my 09 vibe has the dead bulb system, so I might have my work cut out.

So far I know that my current DRL consume .110 KWH 12 volt current and my current corner lamps are rated at .117 KWH. 4 corner 1157's and one (157 white?) 97 license bulb. LED replacements will cost around 75 dollars and will only save .062KWH

That is alot of driving at a savings of an ounce an hour. I am thinking atleast 2500 hours... I might consider just replacing them with LED's as the orginals fail. In the meantime I will opt for other mods as I think I just shot down this mod is three short paragraphs.
The Following User Says Thank You to ssnsvibe09 For This Useful Post:
roosterk0031 (01-14-2014)