View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
ScotD
EcoModding Lurker

A quick update:

My project has evolved. I now expect to use a Ninja 250 as the donor machine. Front end will probably still be based on the California Commuter design, though both lower (bottom) and higher (top, less flat recumbent), and with wheels outside the narrow body. Haven't decided for sure on solo or passenger capability, but fore/aft, not side-by-side if with passenger.

I'm still trying to get clarity on state requirements to successfully license a vehicle with homemade/modified frame and front suspension. For quite a while the State Patrol and Department of Licensing kept referring me to each other. I now have clarity that it's State Patrol I need to satisfy. Latest exchange of messages suggests that all the frame requirements apply to autos and other larger vehicles, not to motorcycles (3 wheel), but it's not totally clear yet. I hope it will be within a week or so . . . one is ever hopeful. I now expect to fabricate the frame myself. I'll post again whenever there are significant developments.