View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
MechEngVT
Mechanical Engineer

The Truck - '02 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Sport
90 day: 13.32 mpg (US)

The Van 2 - '06 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 20.56 mpg (US)

GoKart - '14 Hyundai Elantra GT base 6MT
90 day: 32.18 mpg (US)

Godzilla - '21 Ford F350 XL
90 day: 8.69 mpg (US)
Both my 2002 Ram and my 1988 Ramcharger work this way. The ventilation system draws air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield. In my Ramcharger I have a really cool vent that opens by hand and lets this high-pressure air blow up your left leg. Completely without a blower, just pushed by air pressure.

In my 2002 Ram the back of the cab has vents that allow air to escape between the cab and bed which is a low-pressure zone due to the flow separation at the rear of the roof above this gap. In my Ramcharger, the whole truck leaks so much air out the rear hatch and through the doors that the air blown in from the front is free to escape to the lower-pressure air to the sides and behind.

I really don't think this is much of a new idea. Cars without significant aerodynamic aids generate lift and therefore the air inside the cabin is at a lower pressure than the air from the front. Going back into the 30-60s vehicles with the cowl-vent open to adjustable sliding or turn-knob floor vents allowed outside air to flow in due to dynamic pressure differential. The addition of vent windows magnifies this and adds some flow to the upper body when opening the vents widely, but that really hurts your aerodynamics. The prevalence of climate-control systems in modern vehicles has replaced the need for such low-tech devices in the marketplace, making them absent even on the few vehicles that can be obtained without climate-control (are there still any?)