View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #188 (permalink)
drrbc
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco007 View Post
1. How does Nitrous Oxide work when injected? Liberated free "O" molecule

2. H 2 "O" could the extra "O" introduced into the system have an impact?
Plus the free Hydrogen should create a hotter burn like the Hindenburg?

I know that it's hard to believe that it works, but it does. 1991 Chevy Caprice 305 with homemade bubbler was getting 40% better fuel economy till the computer did not like the extra "O" in the system. To get it to work properly you need to "TUNE" the system for the extra "O". I'm not that competent to tune the computer yet.

All of you that argue against this need to take a good look in the mirror and see who is holding you back form real ECO modding? Don't worry I'm Human 2
Couldn't tell if you were asking or not…

Nitrous is an oxidizer, that is, it has a free electron pair to donate. Displacing ambient air (with 21% O2) with NOS (33% Oxygen) raises the fraction of oxygen available for combustion.

It also enters at @ -130ºF, increasing the density (and hence, amount) of oxygen for combustion. IIRC, a 10ºF drop in manifold air temp gives a 1% increase in HP. But don't trust my memory on this, but it's why on Friday nights guys spray down the intake with CO2 just before a run.

As Rusty alluded to prior, there are a lot of intermediary products in the combustion process, of which nitric and oxygen species as single unpaired radicals would exist. NOS may change the concentrations of the intermediaries, and I guess that it would drive the reaction more towards completion- but dunno for sure.

The addition of H2O does have profound effects on combustion, and has been very well documented for about a century now- but both good and bad. (not sure about Hindenburg but seem to remember something about metal paint which would be more sensible)

Are you running a HHO electrolyzer or a "Novak" kind of water vapor system? I'm not clear on this. But I think you're right- the O2 sensors will enriched the mixture when the extra oxygen is sensed.

In a vapor system as I understand, it allows a lean burn condition to occur. I can see how cooled, humidified water vapor could also inhibit detonation. It would also probably work best in a low demand state such as throttle closed and high manifold vacuum. But I'd also expect it to knock like hell under load.

I think we'd all be very interested if you could do some testing on this. Do a tank with the system on, then cork it and do a tank system off. Repeat this a few times while trying to keep your driving habits and styles the same. Keep an accurate log- very important!

What may be even better is if you could do this for a few months in both winter AND summer.

And yes, we're people too, but it's spelled "Houston". Sorry about that. I know it's kinda OCD, I'm a native and very proud.

Cheers