View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #129 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
The secret to getting good mpg is pulse and glide, however you pulse in s# mode. This allows me to pulse for a very short time (let all 300 horses loose!) Then I can glide for a lot longer. So the car is still gets to flex it's muscles and I never get tired of sport s# mode.

Yes, the car handles like killer, hence I can take the "racing" line to conserve momentum by taking freeway changes at twice the speed as other cars, then blasting out the corner exit.
Hmmm since you're putting some serious work into your car I assume you have logged the car and aren't running so much boost that it goes rich, but I wonder if this is the best technique with a turbo engine. In some Eaton TVS promotional presentation there was a BSFC chart of a turbo 2.0L engine from one of the domestic manufacturers (I forgot which) and the engine did reach peak efficiency under boost, but then it went down considerably with increasing boost. Maybe if you limit the boost a bit you'd be able to pulse with a floored throttle and have an easier time getting the engine running efficiently.

Also taking exits at 2.5 times the posted speed is pretty fun