View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
American Viking
EcoModding Lurker

Dad's Jetta - '05 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5l package one
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Black Cherry - '01 Honda VFR800fi
Last 3: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Howdy,
I am of Scandinavian descent but never made much of it until about ten years ago, after my father guided an impromptu tour of the Smithsonian's Viking exhibit.
I have been reminded all my life that I'm of Norwegian descent, but I've always considered myself American first, so American Viking.

Quote:
I too would like to see someone back up the HHO with hard numbers. As far as I'm concerned it's "snake oil"
I'll have to review that article. What I have found is that too many of these so called guru magazines, just want to slap a cell on a vehicle and expect miracles.
If you do not adjust the fuel mixtures, then the cell may clean up the emissions, but it won't add any mileage or significant increases in power.
I did not see any gains on my Honda with the cell until I installed the PowerCommander V with its wideband o2 sensor plus autotune module and started adjusting the Air Fuel Ratios.
Since the PC V takes miles to "learn" the trims when you set a new tune, it takes time and mileage to get the best results. In fact that 63.5 mpg tank was not the peak of the tune, instead it was just starting to really come in.

Quote:
If you're a hypermiler it's too easy to modify your behavior in such a way as to significantly improve your mileage, but then attribute those gains to the HHO.
Well I was riding with another rider on the trip and keeping up was enough to keep me from trying modify my riding for mileage.

Quote:
That said, a big guy touring an 800 with 140lbs of luggage (seriously?) is hard to hypermile on the highway. I'd want to see what a non-HHO bike (not a friend's, yours) delivered under similar circumstances.
First, Yeah 140 lbs of luggage was a lot. I was carrying my tool kit, a week's worth of clothes, my old laptop, 2 cameras, batteries, a cooler with two cases of drinks plus ice, a small bottle of scotch and a plaque. More than I usually carry, but witnessing a 1997 Honda VFR750 surpass 200,000 miles required extra gear and a few things to celebrate with.

Second, that number was not slabbing along at constant speeds on the highway, it was set running with two then three other riders on fast backroads. The GPS speed average at the end of the day was 64.7 mph.

Now as back to back numbers, the next 5 tanks where run with the same load but no HHO flowing and the tuner set to run an early tune without trimming, net 39.6/35.6/41.5/35.5/39.2...