View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
StudeChamp
More Cars Than Sense

Studeo - '39 Studebaker Champion 4 door sedan

NOT SWIFT - '91 Geo Metro Base with xfi parts
90 day: 49.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Lemme get this straight: the axles aren't going to be centered (fore/aft) in the wheel well/fender openings, and you're going to hide this with fender skirts? How far aft will things be?

PS: it's great to see a thread started when the project is this far along already. It's like bingeing on a TV/cable series on Netflix all at once, instead of waiting for a new episode each week.
Unfortunately, this is where the (re-)engineering starts getting sticky. Since we reproduced the original Geo geometry, and the engine sits in front of the axle, moving that assembly to the back results in a mid-engine car.

So when we rolled the K-member into place, we found that, though compact, the 993cc Suzuki motor dressed still protruded farther forward than expected, especially after allowing for the doghouse between the motor and the rear seat.

So, we decided to sacrifice aesthetics for rear-seat space and push the whole k-member back. The front three wheel lugs are still visible within the wheel well, but the rear lug is already covered by the fender.

Our idea is to do more than a fairing -- actually cut a full plate covering the flat area of the fender and mount it up with fender welting (matching the fender/body connection), giving it more of a 30s streamliner look. I'll post pics and sketch drawings so I can get some input from fellow ecomodders

As for the binge -- yeah, this is pretty cool, but I am afraid that things are going to slow down in a hurry. The good news: I am also nearly done with an xfi build, so hopefully it will be like going from House of Cards to Orange is the New Black.
The Following User Says Thank You to StudeChamp For This Useful Post:
Christ (02-07-2014)