View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
truckncycle
EcoModding Lurker

Bandit 600 - '96 Suzuki Bandit 600
90 day: 45.87 mpg (US)

Ranger 3L - '99 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 21.4 mpg (US)
Lurker no more from Roseville, CA

I started lurking on MetroMPG.com about a year ago and that lead me here. I have been lurking here for about six months. I finally finished working on our kitchen remodel so I have a window of opportunity to start some aero mods.

I drive a 1998 Ford Ranger (3L V6) on Tuesdays, when it is raining, when it is below 30, and when it is over a 100 (and when the Central Valley is full of smoke). It gets about 17.5 mpg on my commute (14 mile round trip, all surface streets).

A couple of years ago, I bought a 1996 Suzuki Bandit 600 to commute on. It gets about 40mpg summer and about 28mpg winter.

I have several mods that I would like to make to the truck. I did the first one about a week ago - I bought a scangauge and started to mod my driving. I also bought and installed a shorter antenna. The antenna is probably more symbolic than anything else. I would also like to add an aero cap to the bed, add an air dam to the front, add wheel skirts over the back tires, and change the mirrors for smaller ones.

On the motorcycle, I want to find a way to install the carb heaters that I bought a couple of years ago to improve winter gas mileage. I also want to add a fairing behind me to smooth out the flow and decrease the vacuum. I like some of the things that Craig Vetter is doing to his scooter but I don't think I am going to be that extreme.