View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
96CX
Should I turn here...?

Silver Civic - '96 Honda Civic CX
Delivery Driver's Problems ('96 Civic CX ... seeking advice)

I mainly looking for suggestions in driving style...

I drive a (new-to-me) '96 Honda Civic CX (hatch)-- no mods except cruise control.

2-3 days/week, I have a (34 mile roundtrip) part-city, part-highway commute. 4 days/week, I deliver pizzas. Average of about 320 miles/week

So I'm stuck in city driving for the majority of my driving, which is terrible for my gas mileage.

Over my last two or three tanks, I've gotten an average of 34mpg. Which isn't too bad, I guess. It is a very stop-and-go driving situation. But I want more, ideally 40 or over.

That 34mpg is just driving normally. I'm not a lead foot, and I generally try to take the most time-efficient routes (that is, whichever one involves the fewest stops. This tank, I'm experimenting with shutting the engine off at stoplights that I know I'll have to wait at (there are several timed lights in town that are 30sec reds), and coasting in neutral whenever possible. I'm due to fill up either tomorrow or sunday, so we'll see what difference (if any) that's made.

Other tips for city driving? I'm conflicted that EOC may not be safe (legal?), though there are consistent streets that I drive where it would work beautifully. Thoughts on EOC safety?

I'd be up for inexpensive aero mods, but do they really make an appreciable difference in city driving (<35mph)? Also, they couldn't be too extreme, as my car still has to look presentable for delivering pizzas. (I'm pretty positive that my boss doesn't want his pizzas delivered in a spaceship held together by duct tape...)

---------------
Notes:

I do not have a ScangaugeII-- $170 is WAY out of my budget. I set aside $20/month for parts/maintenance and such for our two cars-- so maybe in a couple of years (IF the cars don't break)....

I'm a new member here. First post ftw!