View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
If you have an Android phone, get a Bluetooth Elm237 device for $12 on Ebay. This will be just as good as an Ultragauge or Scangauge. The downside is if you use your phone for navigation, then the gauges won't be visible. Next best option then would be an UltraGauge.

Get a gauge before doing a grill block to keep an eye on engine temps. The temp needle on your car isn't precise enough to know when it's running a little hot and the cooling fan is kicking on.

Do you have a manual transmission? I get the same MPG regardless of stop and go or steady highway driving because I let a gap develop ahead of me, and I coast while traffic is slowing, and accelerate slightly when it picks up. Basically, I drive the average speed of traffic and don't worry if people cut into that gap. This strategy might not work as well in cities other than Portland due to other drivers being more aggressive. In Portland, people tend to move out of my lane about as often as they move into it, so I barely loose any time by leaving a gap.

Install the free Gasbuddy app to locate the cheapest stations to fill up.

I'm impressed that you budget $20 a month for repairs. Most people with modest funds blow everything and they create an emergency when something unexpected happens. Keep up the good work! Maintaining a reasonable budget will reduce a lot of financial stress and eliminate a large area of conflict in relationships.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-24-2014 at 04:30 PM..