View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #61 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I had hoped to get an 85 golf diesel, but it too had rust. The drivers seat was sticking through the floor and countless other problems. THe bracket that held the petals was broken, front engine mount busted, alt bracket broke, 5th gear stripped. Now when it was driving the owner said it got 43 mpg.

Think Ill go back surfing diesel generators....
Yea, you'll find a ton of them like that. Sometimes it's cheaper to convert something using a junk diesel car and a decent chassis from something else, especially if you're talking about fixing up a VW, it seems. I've never seen such outrageous part prices, even in the 'heavily used' market.

I've honestly seen people selling 300k mile TDi's for $5000, even seen a few MK3 Golf D's actually sell for $3000ish. It's stupid the prices people will pay for things.

My '96 Passat TDi has 301,500 on it. I paid $400, did a little brake work [need to do more] and put a plate on it the next day. It fired right up with a battery after sitting in a field for 3 years and haven't had any troubles with it other than severe cold start issues and the 'normal' maintenance woes of a 20ish year old car with insane mileage.

My Golf wasn't actually all that bad. It was still driveable when I took it off the road, but after I broke the gauge cluster, I'd kind of had it with the car and it's little 'issues' always popping up. Same thing that happened to my Civic years ago... went out to start it on a relatively nice day and had left the dome light on, battery was weak. I ended up pop starting it out of the driveway, parked it out back and parted it out over a matter of 4 weeks. I'm rather unkind to cars that don't do as commanded.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (04-08-2014)