View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #38 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I didn't read this entire thread ( especially since most of it is bickering )
I have a question though and didn't want to make a new thread : My car exhaust smells stronger than usual .
I changed the oil around 8-9 months ago, and in that time have driven the car less than 500 miles.
However, the oil is black and has a strong 'old oil' odor.
The plugs have a completely normal amount of fouling on them, and the car runs smoothly.

What is causing my exhaust to smell stronger than usual ? Is it from the oil not being changed in months ? How would oil that has less than 500 miles cause the car to create more emissions ? Why is the oil black with so few miles ?
I know oil breaks down with time, but it has been less than a year !!

And what is the final say on fuel injector cleaners ? When are they even needed ?
I would think only if you had some hesitation in your injectors opening.

Something else about my car is that the car has weak spark .
I installed a new distributor with all the parts and pieces as well as new wires around 6 months ago and the car fires right up strong, yet I still am having an issue with weak spark. Just as a test, I pulled one of my plugs and checked the spark. The spark is a small orange spark. The car has always had this issue and i even went so far as to make a new ground for the engine to the frame.
I wonder though : If there is spark and the car fires up great, how can a weak spark have a bad effect on a car ?
If there is a big blue thunderbolt of a spark from your plug versus a weak orange spark, how is one better than the other if the result is the same - the spark ignites the air-fuel mixture.