View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
greenVX
EcoModding Lurker

94 Civic VX California noob

Hi all,

I picked up a clean 1994 Honda Civic VX clean title first owner 188000 miles for a fair price.
No a/c but where I live I don't really need it, thanks to the ocean breeze of Pismo Beach. I have done a few research and did a few mods to the car since. The car is the Caifornia emission version.

- 44 psi on oem 13" tires
- car lowered 2 inches
- mud flaps are on....yea I know this won't help

First few tanks I was getting average of 38 mpg. I had check engine light of EGR insuffecient flow. I decided to clean the egr valve and cleaned the ports, still nothing changed. Still averaging the same mpg.

I later did a few tune ups with all oem parts, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, oil change, trans fluid change. Did notice better idling and smoother throttle response but still same mpg. The best I had was 40mpg.

I bought a mpguino and converted it to Federal emission version with five wire oxygen sensor and ecu and wiring. I was averaging better at 45 mpg per tank. Best mpg was at 46.

Do note that most of the driving are at night and early mornings which averages at 55-60 degrees...not sure if this played a part in it getting less gas mileage. Oh and its a 80% hwy and 20% street driving. On the mpguino it will usually show an current mpg at 43-48 mpg when driving during night and morning. Then when driving during day time of 70-80 degree weather I see an average current mpg 48-54 on the mpguino.

I haven't try driving during the day to get an average on the tank but would colder weather play a big part in my mpg.?